Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

My son was charged with engaged in criminal activities in

Customer Question
Hi, my son was charged...
Hi, my son was charged with engaged in criminal activities in TX, it is at the state level and it was a 1st degree felony. His court appointed lawyer arranged a plea of 10 years with him getting credit for time served (18 months at that time). She assured him and myself that there was no minimum time requirements, that it would be up to the state as to when he would be eligible for parole but NO minimum requirements. Once he went to TDC, he was evaluated by the parole office and was told he would have to spend a minimum of 50% of his 10 year plea. There was an addendum to the penalty section of his charge that was put in place in mid 2013 and that this has been a problem with others who were either not given this information or there lawyer was not aware of it. The parole officer said it is quite possible and probable that neither his attorney or the judge were aware but that he should have been made aware before he signed the plea and they recommended he contact his court appointed lawyer, that he signed the plea agreement without knowing the true time minimum time he would be required to serve. I contacted his attorney from this case to be told she was not aware of this, after she had on numerous occasions assured me that the 50% minimum was not correct but the she was released as his attorney by the courts and that I should contact an attorney (not her) to see what options he has. I contacted the county district clerks office where the case was heard to see how to get another court appointed attorney (he is incarcerated with no income) to handle this. I was told because of the plea and the case over, he was not eligible for a court appointed lawyer. I asked if this was true considering he plead under false false information given him which I assume would/could vacate the plea and was told I needed to speak with a supervisor for options. I am waiting to here hopefully today from them.
JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?
Customer: In Texas, read above
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Waiting on the court supervisor to advise if he will be able to get a court appointed lawyer
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think It is all there in the above chat
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
5/11/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 6 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I'm reviewing your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and I may also have to respond to other customers.

What is your question with regard to this?

Ely, Counselor at Law