How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 3169
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a friend in Stanley Corrections who was sentenced

Customer Question

I have a friend in Stanley Corrections who was sentenced under the law before truth in sentencing took place. A Para-legal inmate assisted him in petitioning the court to adjust his sentence to run concurrently rather than consecutively. He received a reply than he must now file a brief with the court within 45 days as to whether his request can be forwarded to the DA. How can he file this brief on his own and what forms are needed. Thank you for any help you can give.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: state of Wisconsin
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no, he cannot afford this. I have downloaded a packet of forms fro the law sschool at UW for his to do this pro se and will send those
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: His conviction was for the sexual assault of a teenage girl.
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  attyadvisor replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. It will be my pleasure to assist you.

Expert:  attyadvisor replied 5 months ago.

There are Pro Bono and legal aid Attorneys that can assist him as well as public defenders. Unfortunately only he or a licensed Attorney an show up in court on his behalf. Have you looked into these resources?

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR, as your previous contributor had to leave, did you have any additional questions that you would like answered?