Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

26 year old sexting a 16 year old

Customer Question
26 year old sexting a 16 year old
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
5/11/2017
Criminal Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Can you give me the state or states involved here, it matters? Thanks

Nevada

No crime here if the persons are both adults here, 18 or older

In 2011, Nevada made it a crime for children (those younger than 18) to possess, transmit, or distribute sexual images of themselves or other children. Under this law, it is a crime for a child to:

• use an electronic communication device, such as a cellphone or computer, to send or transmit sexual images of him or herself
  • use an electronic communication device to send or transmit sexual images of another minor who is the same age, older, or not more than four years younger, or
  • possess a transmitted sexual image of a child who is the same age, older, or not more than four years younger.

Any image that depicts sexual activity or suggestive nudity is a considered a sexual image. For example, a topless photo of a teenage girl would probably be considered a sexual image.

An adult, or even an older teenager, who sends or possesses a “sext” would not be prosecuted under this law, but instead under Nevada’s child pornography law. For example, a 17-year-old who possesses a nude image of a 14-year-old could be prosecuted for teen sexting, but if the same 17-year-old possessed a nude photo of a 12-year-old, the older teen would be prosecuted for child pornography, a much more serious crime. (Nev. Rev. Stat. § 200.737.)

http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/resources/teen-sexting-nevada.htm

If the parties here are both age 18 then there is no crime here in Nevada as they are consenting adults under the law.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Reference

The age of consent refers to the minimum age of a person who can legally consent to having sexual intercourse with another person. This generally pertains to minors and their causes of action for statutory rape. In Nevada, the age of consent for heterosexual conduct is 16 years old.Oct 10, 2016

Nevada Age of Consent Lawyers | LegalMatch Law Library

Neither sexting or having sex are illegal if the youngest person here is age 18 in Nevada they are adults under the law.

What if the 16 year old sent a topless picture to the 26 year old but deleted and he sent her a picture

In Nevada here the 16 year old is an adult so again no crime they are above the age of consent.

Can the parents of the 16 year old take legal action against the 26 year old due to him sex texting the 16 year old in nevada

You can seek a protective order once you tell him to leave you alone here, but she is an adult under the law.So a protective order here is a possibility.Thanks

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer