How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thelawman2 Your Own Question
Thelawman2, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1578
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Thelawman2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I pled guilty on a plea bargain for 2 counts of Exploitation

Customer Question

I pled guilty on a plea bargain for 2 counts of Exploitation of a Vunerable adult. I am currently serving 5 years probation and have paid back some $21,000 in restitution and for the investigation, fine, and court costs for a total of $25000.00+ Could I request that my probation be reduced to time served or should I wait. Also I was an insurance Adjuster and to have a license and work I have to have a license which I can't get as long as I have a felony on my record. Could it be expunged from my record at this time?
JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?
Customer: Mississippi. The charge is that I used my sister's credit card for about $10,000. and I wrote checks on her account that they said was personal. She lived with my sife and I for 2 years before she had to go into the nursing home. She had no expenses when she lived with me. I paid for everything. Another sister called in the attorney general of MS and this is what happened. I had intended to pay the money back but had cancer and then had to quit working and move in with my daughter because I could not work anymore.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No. I had an attorney who represented me for the original charges and got the pleas bargain.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Usually after a year of serving on probation, you can negotiate to possibly get probation conditions changed. If you want to do so, you are going to need a criminal defense attorney to represent you and negotiate on your behalf. They can also file a motion in the court where you were convicted requesting early termination of probation. This would need to normally include a recommendation from your Parole Officer.

As for expungement,

Mississippi law allows for the expungement of the following felony convictions:

  1. A bad check offense under Miss. Code Ann. § 97-19-55;
  2. Possession of a controlled substance or paraphernalia under Miss. Code Ann. § 41-29-139(c) or (d);
  3. False pretense under Miss. Code Ann. § 97-19-39;
  4. Larceny under Miss. Code Ann. § 97-14-41;
  5. Malicious mischief under Miss. Code Ann. § 97-17-67; or
  6. Shoplifting under Miss. Code Ann. § 97-23-93

As a result, if you charge was not for one of these felonies, then you are not going to be eligible for expungement.

I hope this has been helpful. If so, please provide a positive rating so I get credit for helping you today!