Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I went to the airport, forgot I had my gun in my backpack. I

Customer Question

I went to the airport, forgot I had my gun in my backpack. I got arrested and taken to the holding cell at the airport. They brought a dog in and told me the dog "smelled" drugs in my bag. No drugs were found but I had $37,000 in cash. They took money into evidence and as of right now, I only have a charge for unlawful possession of a weapon. I was informed that the DEA was sending a letter. Can I be charged for anything other than my weapon charge when there wasn't anything found. The only incriminating thing that they found was a cell phone that was in my bag that hasn't been used in over a year.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 months ago.

I'm Zoey.

I'm reviewing your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and I may also have to respond to other customers.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 months ago.

The DEA operates under the premise that anyone carrying around an inordinate amount of cash is a drug dealer. Are they going to arrest you for drugs? No. They don't have the evidence to do that. However, they can make you have to prove that you came by this money legally and that you were carrying it for a legal purpose in order to get your money back.

The letter you get from the DEA will be a notice of forfeiture. You will then have a specified period of time to ask for a hearing on the matter where you can attempt to prove that you're entitled to your money back. You will need a lawyer experienced in such hearings, as they are not easy to win.

You can see articles in the news about DEA forfeitures here.