Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I just found out that my criminal record lists HIGH

Customer Question
I just found out...

I just found out that my criminal record lists HIGH OCCUPANCY VEHICLE LANES - SINGLE OCCUPANT VEHICLE VIOLATION as a MISDEMEANOR. Shouldn't this be listed as a Petty Misdemeanor?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Minnesota

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

It happened in 2009!

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
5/10/2017
Criminal Lawyer: LawTalk, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
LawTalk, Lawyer

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

You are correct, that a citation in MN for improper use of an HOV lane is indeed coded as a petty misdemeanor. The criminal report simply does not differentiate between petty misdemeanors and other misdemeanor convictions. If you have a problem with the report because of the fact that the level of misdemeanor is not set out, then when it is an issue, you will simply need to provide the employer or other party who may have questions about the misdemeanor with a copy of the law clarifying the level of the conviction. Here is a link to that law. You will need to print out Section 160.93, Subdivision 4:

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=160.93

which reads in pertinent part:

Subd. 4.Prohibition.

No person may operate a single-occupant vehicle in a designated high-occupancy vehicle lane or dynamic shoulder lane except in compliance with the requirements of the commissioner. A person who violates this subdivision is guilty of a petty misdemeanor and is subject to sections 169.89, subdivisions 1, 2, and 4, and 169.891 and any other provision of chapter 169 applicable to the commission of a petty misdemeanor traffic offense.

You may reply back to me again if you have additional questions, and I will continue to assist you.

I am not an employee of this site and I am only paid for helping you when you rate my service to you. Please remember to rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars on your screen (preferably 5-Stars) so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in 2017,

Doug

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That is not correct. The report includes two Petty Misdemeanors that I also received. So it does differentiate and this is not a good answer.

I am unable to further assist you in this matter, and I am going to opt out of your question and open this up for other professionals.

Your question is being placed back in the question list for other professionals to see, and to respond to. You do not have to stay online for the question to be active. Should another professional pick it up, you should be alerted by email unless you actively disable this feature.

There is no need for you to reply at this time as this may "lock" your question back to me, thus inadvertently delaying other professionals' access to it.

I apologize for any inconvenience and wish you well in your future.

Doug

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you basically pay $36 for an incorrect answer!