Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I am dying inside and kust want a? Answered. No money. Can

Customer Question

I am dying inside and kust want a ? Answered. No money. Can you act pro bono this on e?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I'm in Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Tomorrow A friend of mine is being arraigned I don't know what that means um what is an arraignment
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He is the perpetrator in a domestic violence case
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 5 months ago.

I'm Zoey.

I'm reviewing your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and I may also have to respond to other customers.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 5 months ago.

JustAnswer is not a law firm and lawyers here cannot represent customers on their actual court matters. We can only provide general legal information.

An arraignment is the first court appearance for a defendant. The defendant's charges are read out loud formally into the record and he'll be asked how he pleads to the charges. It's customary for all defendants at this stage to plead not guilty.

If your friend is in jail, he will be assigned a public defender, so he will be represented when he comes before the judge. If he's not in jail, after he pleads not guilty, he can ask the judge for a new date to hire and come back with a lawyer. If he can't afford one he can ask the judge to appoint him a free lawyer, and he'll get his pro bono attorney right from the court.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 5 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.