Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

How can you accuse someone of a sex offense

Customer Question

Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 5 months ago.

I'm Zoey.

I'm reviewing your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and I may also have to respond to other customers.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 5 months ago.

To accuse someone of a sex offense and get him or her charged, you would go to the police and report the crime. If what you tell them and your evidence gives them a reasonable belief that a particular person may have committed a sex offense, that's what we call probable cause. With probable cause the police can make an arrest and the prosecutor can file charges.

They need much more evidence to convict a person of a crime. For that, the state needs proof beyond a reasonable doubt. But to charge someone, just a reasonable belief on the part of the police that a particular person may have committed a crime is enough to get the ball rolling towards an arrest and prosecution.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 5 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.