Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Can i be deported for an arrest without a conviction,

Customer Question

can i be deported for an arrest without a conviction
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: florida and over 10 years ago
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: i got my green card in 2015
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no i wanted to go home but dont know if i should
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site.

The answer is generally no. However, there is a big HOWEVER. That is while the answer is generally no, however, if you admit to the action in a legal document or in open court, then this may be used as reason for removal (deportation).

For example, the prosecutor states that the case will be dismissed if you "apologize in open court and write an apology letter." That may be used as a way to initiate removal.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your utmost satisfaction. If I have done this, please rate with five stars and click FINISH. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. It does not cost anything extra to rate. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.