Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My 17 year-old grandson of whom I have custody, is being

Customer Question

My 17 year-old grandson of whom I have custody, is being accused of rape. Will his qualification for a public defender be based on my assets or on his?
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: South Carolina
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No. We just found out about this today
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My yearly income is about $33000
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site.

I am sorry to hear about this situation.

Will his qualification for a public defender be based on my assets or on his?

By default, both. Because he is a minor, the Court will look at his ability to earn, as well as his family's when considering a public defender appointment. If the family refuses to give him any money for a public defender, this should be stated, so as to ensure that the Court understands this, and thus does not count the family's income as well.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your utmost satisfaction. If I have done this, please rate with five stars and click FINISH. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. It does not cost anything extra to rate. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.