Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

My boyfriend has a court date for domestic violence which he

Customer Question

my boyfriend has a court date for domestic violence which he is being wrongly accused for I am ordered to appear in court that day. if I don't show will they drop the charge on him? and what would happen to me for not appearing
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And to clarify, can you tell me what paperwork has been filed?
Customer: Johnson county Kansas and had first appearance yesterday he is out on bond tell next court date which my paper says domestic violence court appearance I didn't fill charges the state did I didn't even call the cops
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: police report and charges and an alfadavid
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I want the state to drop charges I have no complaint
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 5 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney with Just Answer. I'll be here to help today! Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question? By the way, the system will automatically ask for a phone call. By no means are you required to accept it.

The answer to your question is yes, you should appear in court that day. If you do not, then the court will hold you in contempt of court. A finding of contempt can result in jail time. That is the short answer. Of course, whether you're ordered to jail depends on the judge's discretion and the applicable law, but I would also recommend that you appear. Even if you want the charges dropped, showing up and giving truthful testimony will keep both you and him out of jail.

Follow up questions are free so did you have any additional questions? If not, were you satisfied with my service today?