Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My roommate was involved in a car accident about half an…

Customer Question
Hi, my roommate was involved...
Hi, my roommate was involved in a car accident about half an hour ago. He was at fault because he rear ended another vehicle, who stopped in the middle of the road. They both pulled off to the shoulder to exchange information, however the other person drove off and left the scene of the accident. Is there a possible hit and run case? Or can the person who drove off press charges against my roommate?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
5/9/2017
Criminal Lawyer: CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty replied 1 year ago
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Yes, the other person can be charged with leaving the scene of an accident. Even though they were hit from behind, they have a duty to speak with the other driver and contact the police and report this, unless of course they want to agree to resolve this on their own. It is odd that the person left, if they were hit from behind, since there would be a presumption that your friend was at fault. However, it is possible that this person had some other legal issues which they did not want the police to know or get involved with, which is why they left. Your friend can call the police and report this if they want to, to protect themselves, assuming they have information to identify the other driver.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!