How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 3169
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My roommate was involved in a car accident about half an

Customer Question

Hi, my roommate was involved in a car accident about half an hour ago. He was at fault because he rear ended another vehicle, who stopped in the middle of the road. They both pulled off to the shoulder to exchange information, however the other person drove off and left the scene of the accident. Is there a possible hit and run case? Or can the person who drove off press charges against my roommate?
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 4 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Expert:  CrimDefense replied 4 months ago.

Good morning. Yes, the other person can be charged with leaving the scene of an accident. Even though they were hit from behind, they have a duty to speak with the other driver and contact the police and report this, unless of course they want to agree to resolve this on their own. It is odd that the person left, if they were hit from behind, since there would be a presumption that your friend was at fault. However, it is possible that this person had some other legal issues which they did not want the police to know or get involved with, which is why they left. Your friend can call the police and report this if they want to, to protect themselves, assuming they have information to identify the other driver.

Expert:  CrimDefense replied 4 months ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!