How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nisha Jones, Esq. Your Own Question
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1079
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Nisha Jones, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Well I'm in need of help, Pennsylvania, Yes, Well I was

Customer Question

Well I'm in need of help
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Pennsylvania
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Well I was charged with indirect criminal contempt
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Good evening, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship.

I've reviewed your question, I'm sorry to hear about this situation. Is there a more specific legal question I can help you with pertaining to this situation?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Long to short I got my son over this previous weekend. There is a pfa on me from my sons mother. However, When it was time to return him Sunday night, his mother was no where to be found so I kept him. And I didn't want to drop him at either grandparents. He is my son there is no custody rights by judge to anyone. So as his father I kept him. Monday afternoon my ex istexting me stating I need being him home or she will enforce the pfa. So not thinking I text her back expressing he is my son too and he will be home later. She text back stating I have til three to bring him home. I said ok be there soon. Now she lives in trailer up tight against my parents place whom is to be the party that we go thru. I dropped him off and all was fine. But now I'm getting charged with pfa (Icc). I don't feel this fair and don't understand how can charge me?? She contacted me first, it was strictly about my son. And if she so terribly scared of me than why talking to me? Again, she didn't want our son the night before so I got an extra day with him, sowhy threaten means now want to arrest me. She contacted me so pfa dropped? How am I into trouble?
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Good morning, have you already been arrested and charged with indirect criminal contempt?

Unfortunately, if she claimed that you violated the pfa and showed any text messages to the police officers, then that's enough to lead to an arrest and criminal charge.

I understand what you are explaining though, is that she actually contacted you first in reference to your son, and the issue is that she was not available at the time you were to return your son to her.

These are all grounds for a valid legal defense. My recommendation would be that you hire an attorney to represent you in this matter, if you haven't done so already, so that all of these defenses can be adequately raised on your behalf at the upcoming hearing.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to kindly rate me using 3 stars or more, as this is the only way experts are compensated for our time here on 'just answer'. I don't receive a salary here, and am only compensated for my time after you leave me a positive rating. The question won't close after you rate me, so you can still ask follow-up questions after rating me. Thanks so much, I appreciate it!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Was already charged
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

My apologies for the delay, I was away until now.

Since you were already formally charged, my recommendation is that you hire a defense attorney to represent you.

You have a strong defense as to the facts surrounding the allegations of violation of the pfa, so you want to make sure they are adequately represented by hiring an attorney. There is alot that can be done for your case even very early on, through conversations and negotiations with the prosecutor, a sit down meeting can even result in inappropriately filed charges being dismissed.

Again, I hope that helps!

Please take a moment to leave a positive rating before leaving the page as it's the only way I'm compensated for my time. Thanks!

Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!