Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

In, county, Illinois criminal court regarding someone

In cook, county, Illinois criminal...
In cook, county, Illinois criminal court regarding someone charged with aggravated battery(not the lawyer), is an outside criminal lawyer (meaning, he didn't have anything to actually do with the case but he did actually witness the actual crime), ..to make a long story short,would he be considered as an expert witness in another criminal court. The kee word is "EXPERT witness"...he's a practicing licensed criminal lawyer? Is he an " expert " witness?
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/8/2017
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I'm reviewing your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and I may also have to respond to other customers.

If he's called upon to give a legal opinion as to what he witnessed then, yes, he would have to be qualified as an expert witness before he would be able to testify. If he's called upon simply to relate what he saw, then he would be a regular witness, who would just be sworn in like any other witness.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD