Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

DOMESTIC VIOLENCE - ON CRIMINAL PROBATION My sister was

Customer Question
DOMESTIC VIOLENCE - ON CRIMINAL...
DOMESTIC VIOLENCE - ON CRIMINAL PROBATION
My sister was beaten by her former boyfriend, who eventually was criminally charged with the offense. He was offered some "plea and pass" at the hearing and he violated it and is now formally on criminal probation. He has no remorse, he has threatened to "get her back for going to jail", he follows her around, he is dangerous, has guns (former NYPD). The court ordered all firearms to be surrendered but he likely has one (unregistered) according to my friend who works in NYC in SVU. Police can get guns - legal or not. My family and I are gravely concerned. I told her to immediately buy a GPS device and put on his car. Is this legal? If we knew where he was (at all times) my mother and family would not be worried as much.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
4/28/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 1 year ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I'm reviewing your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and I may also have to respond to other customers.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If you get me an answer I will pay you a fee
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will pay the 59.00 but I need a legal answer and it is a YES or NO as to whether or not someone can place a GPS device on a domestic violent offender who is on criminal probation.

No, it is not lawful to put a GPS on his car. While I understand your concern for your daughter's safety and hers, that kind of self-help can get her in trouble.

He's being monitored by the Department of Probation. And she's the complainant and has a protective order as well. She can contact his probation officer and the ADA who handled the case and share her concerns and his threats.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD