Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I am out on bond on a absconding charge from probation it is

i am out on bond on a absconding charge from probation it is my first appearance, ,but have 3 fta's that occurred during my absconding,,,Will i be locked up or given the opportunity to obtain counsel
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: north Carolina
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: such as
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

If the other failures to appear were from the time that you absconded and not new ones that happened since you posted bond, the odds are about 50-50 that you'll be incarcerated on your court date.

Are they all in the same court? That would give you the best possibility of remaining at liberty. If any of them are out of county, there's a better chance that you will be held.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
they're all in the same court, ,,the ftas happened during my absconding,,,but aren't i entitled to time to obtain a attorney on my first appearance

You're entitled to an attorney but if there are outstanding warrants they are entitled to arrest you. If they're all in the same court, they should all join up and your argument is that the present bail is sufficient.

Do they all involve ducking your probation officer? If so, you'll likely be okay.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i was arrested on them they other night an got out on bond for all of them last night,

Had you told me that in the first place, I'd have told you that I don't see why you'd be locked up at your court date.

In my experience, you'll be allowed to get counsel and fight your case.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
my p.o told me it was my first appearance on the absconding charge but i was concerned because of the fta's that happened when i was gone, ,,,i had 3 bonds i bonded on all 3

Right but all of them occurred before you were picked up and posted bond on the first charge. So it's not like you violated the condition of your bond. I think it should be okay.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
oh ok,,,yea I'm sure my bond is good an i know they judge that will be in the court room tomorrow

You should be able to just ask for a continuance to come back with counsel.

Good luck!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thank you so much, ,you were a great help, ,but knowing a judge outside of a court room it's a conflict of interest isn't it

Not necessarily. It depends on how you know him and how well.

I strive for 5 star service. If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 3, 4, or (hopefully) 5 stars on the rating scale, as that is the only way that JustAnswer gives us Experts credit for our work. You would still be able to post further follow ups on this question thread about this for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.