Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

In the criminal justice arena there are different sentencing…

In the criminal justice arena...
In the criminal justice arena there are different sentencing schemes. They are determinant, indeterminate, and mixed sentencing (a combination of the first two). I'd like to know which states use which kind of sentencing. I've searched the web, but was unsuccessful in finding an answer. So, if you find one, please let me know where I can see the info.
4/20/2017
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney with Just Answer. I'll be here to help today! Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

By the way, the system will automatically ask for a phone call. By no means are you required to accept it.

You may have already seen this document, but if you click here, and then go to page 38, you may be able to see the 50 state list of the kinds of schemes used throughout the country.

Follow up questions are free so did you have any additional questions? If not, were you satisfied with my service today?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have seen that document, and you are certainly correct that it provides a list of states according to sentencing schemes. The problem is that the data in the document are from around 1994, and I'd sure like to have more recent information. That's because I know that some states have switched from indeterminate to determinate sentencing (and perhaps some have gone the other way). I think that more recent information will be tough to find, but please know that I appreciate your efforts. Let me know if you find anything more recent. Thanks.

Of course, let me do one more pass through to see what's available...

Ok, based on my review of the internet and through my own personal resources, I cannot find anything more recent. It seems as if it may be the most recent publication. However, if you click here, you can search for publications directly with the Bureau of Justice Assistance. Plus, you may be able to call them (click here) and see if they have any more recent, but unpublished documents available to the public.

Did you have any follow up questions?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, I don't have any more questions. But thanks for the effort; I figured it would be pretty impossible to find a "contemporary" answer.

I totally understand and thank you for the positive rating!