PhillipsEsq
PhillipsEsq, Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Our boxer/poss. shepherd mix bit another dog, small dog only

Customer Question

Our boxer/poss. shepherd mix bit another dog, small dog only 6- 10 pounds and we paid the vet bills in full (neighbor requested 6100 dollars we paid in full. after a visit from the animal control we were given instructions which we have absolutely followed. They have commented how cooperative we have been Only my 23yo and 28yo sons and husband are to take him out into the yard on leash and muzzle to be on him if walking him, but we opted not to take him out of the yard. We live on a corner lot and are to get a fence. We were told to try and get one as soon as we can. We had to get an company that could get a strong aluminum commercial gate across our 30 foot driveway and we want to get a strong 6ft privacy fence completely around the yard.backyard (gate within stgate). Our dogs collar had broken. He was running and excited to be loose. Our neighbor came around the corner and as her dogs barked, our dog ran up to them and the dog fight occurred and our dog is 78 lb's and hers as I stated less than 10 lb's. Now the neighbor has contacted the Mayor and police chief and is pressuring that strictor action be taken. She is taking pictures of us in our yard and glaring at my sons as they walk our dog quickly out to do his business in the yard and back in. She calls animal control at least 2 to 3 times a day to report anything to try and get us a citation to have our dog taken. They say because she has gone above thenu
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Our boxer/poss. shepherd mix bit another dog injuring his leg;a small dog only 6- 10 pounds and we paid the vet bills in full (neighbor requested 6100 dollars we paid in full. after a visit from the animal control we were given instructions which we have absolutely followed. They have commented how cooperative we have been. Only my 23yo and 28yo sons and husband are to take him out into the yard on leash and muzzle to be on him if walking him, but we opted not to take him out of the yard. We live on a corner lot and are to get a fence. We were told to try and get one as soon as we can. We had to get an company that could get a strong aluminum commercial gate across our 30 foot driveway and we want to get a strong 6ft privacy fence completely around the backyard (gate within gate). Our dogs collar had broken when I was walking him when the accident occurred, and as he ran was running and excited to be loose our neighbor came around the corner and as her dogs barked, our dog ran up to them and the dog fight occurred and our dog is 78lb's and hers as I stated less than 10lb's.Now the neighbor has contacted the Mayor and police chief and is pressuring that stricter action be taken. She is taking pictures of us in our yard and glaring at my sons as they walk our dog quickly out to do his business in the yard and back in. She calls animal control at least 2 to 3 times a day to report anything to try and get us a citation to have our dog taken. The city says because she has gone above even the highest supervisor we have to have the fence up within 3 days and have our dog kept elsewhere until the fence is up, such as a kennel.
The biggest problem is that the fence company (we checked with many) cannot start the project cannot start for at least 3 weeks and then say it will take a minimum of 2 weeks to complete it. We do not know what to do with our dog during this time. Also the gate is costing 13,000. The neighbor calls and complains even when our dog is out in our yard with my husband that he is taking him to the far corner of our lot to do his business. This is because there are leaves here and it is our yard where he usually goes to the bathroom. She wants us to get called out for 5 citations so they will haul our dog off. We love our dog.We feel it is our responsibility to keep him secure. He never showed aggression to any of the people. We are praying for an extension to be able to keep our dog at home secure until the fence is up We hate what happened and will take all precautions to never give him an opportunity to repeat anything like this again. We do feel that we are being harassed and almost stalked as she walks or drives slowly around our house and takes pictures and stares and is watching from down the street from her yard several houses down. We are not sure what to do now.
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about out?
Customer: Our dog was up on all his shots. He had never done anything like this before. He is 6 plus years old
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He bit the dogs leg and it was a significant crushing fracture which I paid for a orthopedic surgeon to put pins and plate in the dog's leg. the dog is doing very well thankfully. I have shown, told her how sorry we are and that we are complying with all requests. She did not think they did enough and so is working very hard to have our dog put down. We feel that having him in a kennel for 4 weeks until the fence is done would create more problems.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  PhillipsEsq replied 3 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

I have carefully reviewed your post. However, I did not see a specific question. What is your specific question?

Thank you for your cooperation,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I PAID THE LADY OVER 6100 DOLLARS FROM HER REQUEST SHOWING THE VET BILLS WRITTEN UP BY HER. She would not give me permission to correspond with her vet directly to pay, so I was not permitted to correspond and pay directly to her vet. I have doubt (no proof) of the legitimacy of the amount she stated. Now she is watching us, taking pictures and calling many people as I stated trying to find something to report that we are not adhering to regarding our dog. She drives by slowly and glares at my sons, 28 and 23 yo when they come and walk the dog on his secured harness/leash in the yard only. She has called and reported to animal control that they take the dog to the very corner of our yard to let it do its business. She lives 4 houses down from us. .Animal control have voiced concern of her behavior and have a large file where she calls and goes above them to voice complaints that they are not performing at their job in regard to us. She had an attorney send us a letter stating she was claiming bodily injury and vet bill not being paid in full. (I have copies of the checks she has and the matching amounts of what she stated she paid the vet. The total being as I said over 6100. 3 weeks after the dog bite/fight occurred she told me she could not lift her arm over her head due to pulling something when she retrieved her dog. When I asked her Why she had not mentioned this at all for at least 3 plus weeks she stated that she was too busy thinking about her dog to think about herself. Now she says she is going to physical therapy and that at some point she will have to deal with her post traumatic stress syndrome. She posed a question to me when she first mentioned her arm which was after she received all the vet money...her question was "I'm sure you have home owner's insurance .
QUESTION: WHAT ACTION WOULD BE BEST FOR ME TO TAKE TO PROTECT OURSELVES FROM THIS TYPE OF SITUATION...WE FEEL THREATENED BY HER BEHAVIOR AND TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF FINANCIALLY AS WELL AS THE GREAT CONCERN THAT SHE WILL BE MANIPULATIVE IN JEPERDIZING OUR KEEPING OUR PET AND COMPANION (DOG) AND CONTINUE ATTEMPTING WAYS TO GET HIM "PUT DOWN."

Thank you for the information.

First and foremost, you should not have paid her without a bill from the Vet. If this goes to Court, she would be forced to present the bill from the Vet. Also, if she is now alleging injury as a result of the incident, you just cannot file claim with your homeowner's insurance and expect the insurance company to pay. The insurance company would need evidence that this is not a pre-existing condition that she is now trying to blame on the dog bite because you have paid the Vet bill to make peace.

You would need to file lawsuit against her for Civil Harassment to put a stop to all these threats. She should not be allowed to intimidate you. You have a right to quiet enjoyment of your premises. You can obtain complaint forms at the Courthouse in the Clerk's office.

Goodluck with your case,