Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I have a question on traffic violations, I was issued a

Customer Question

I have a question on traffic violations
JA: Was a citation issued? Has a court date been set?
Customer: I was issued a ticket in Feb of 2016 for 79 in a 55. I worked with the ADA in the county to get a stay of adjudication. Unfortunately, I received another ticket in July of 2016 for 75 in a 60. So I realize both tickets will now hit my record. I have paid both fines. But now I just received a notification to appear in court because I violated my unsupervised probation. I'm not sure what to expect. Do I need a lawyer for this?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I'm sure both tickets have been filed. BTW, if it matters. I'm a 47 year old mom in the suburbs and these were my first 2 tickets in 30 years. Otherwise clean record.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

In what US state was this?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Minnesota... Sibley County. I live in Dakota County if it matters.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

Thank you.

Give me a few minutes to look up Minnesota law and compose a response to you.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

If you had to plead guilty to get into the diversion program, the judge could execute sentence on the plea. If you didn't have to take a plea, your case would start off at square 1. So it would be a good idea to have a lawyer when you show up for your hearing on the violation, as the court has some discretion and you'd want the most favorable sentence possibility or new plea bargain.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I didn't go to court at all the first time. I just worked with the ADA over the phone. I did have to pay the ticket though so I assume that is a guilty plea? Do you know if they can fine me more or suspend my license when I go to court?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have follow up questions. See previous chat at 6:08 pm. Can you answer?
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

Sorry for the delay. I am juggling follow ups and taking them in the order they were asked. I'm now up to yours.

Yes, your payment is a guilty plea. The judge would have the discretion to suspend your license and to charge you court costs.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.