Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I had gotten a DUI and was told I would need an evaluation…

Customer Question
I had gotten a DUI...
I had gotten a DUI and was told I would need an evaluation to see if I needed treatment. During the evaluation process I was told to give an emergency contact so I gave the interviewer my brother's name and number. I specifically asked the interviewer if they were planning on contacting my brother. She assured me that he would only contacted in the case of an emergency. When I was filling out the required forms it said my brother would only be contacted in the case of an emergency, if I needed treatment and family counseling was involved and any follow up on my treatment. No where did it say that he would be contacted in order to do a background check on me. Well the agency I had went to went and called my brother without me knowing this in order to inquire about my history with alcohol. Both my brother and I are extremely upset about this because we both feel that the organization over stepped their bounds by contacting my brother about my history when they weren't given permission to do so. Do I have a case against them for invasion of privacy?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 day by:
4/2/2017
Criminal Lawyer: LawyerDavid, Attorney replied 1 year ago
LawyerDavid
LawyerDavid, Attorney

Hello: I am really sorry about your situation. Based on your write up it is my understanding you knew they would be doing an assessment on you and checking your background to see if you need treatment. They appear to have contacted your brother who you also noted as an emergency contact, but I do not see an invasion of privacy in this instance. They could have contacted your brother and anyone else they wanted to contact to do the assessment. Your brother and these other individuals they contact are free not to answer their questions or doing anything they want in response to the call, but the fact the call occurred is not an invasion of privacy. An investigation such as this can be difficult to deal with for all involved and can definitely seem too invasive at times, but the evaluation has been ordered and you will need to comply the best you can. Best, David

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What about the fact she lied about me going to them because I thought I had a drinking problem?

I think that gets closer to there being a claim, but since she is not seeing you in a therapeutic sense and only evaluating you for possible treatment I do not believe any laws were broken. It is definately pushing it lying about you going to them, but I just dont see a solid privacy claim in this instance. David

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the fact that she lied to me when I asked her directly about whether or not she would be calling my brother about my background?

I would consider her a liar and not to be trusted, but again that is different that having a legal claim against this individual or the entity she work for in this instance. I do not have any further information to offer you so I am going to opt out and let others respond if they want. Thanks, David

Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR, as your previous contributor had to leave.
Did you have some other question that was not answered by the other expert?