Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was convicted of possession 1 year sentence and one year…

Customer Question
I was convicted of...

I was convicted of possession 1 year sentence and one year of probation in 1984. can my gun rights restored

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Louisiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I paid lawyer to exsponge the sentence in 1984., but I checked in 2005 he had not.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/21/2017
Criminal Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good evening,

Louisiana automatically restores gun rights of those convicted of a felony 10 years following the completion of a sentence (meaning any jail time, probation, and payment of fines, etc), provided that you had no other intervening felony. So, if this was your only conviction, you should have your gun rights back already. The only other way to currently restore gun rights, if the first option isn't available, is to seek a pardon from the Governor. While these are exceptionally rare in terms of being granted, if it is, not only would it restore your rights to own a weapon, but your record would reflect "Pardon by Governor" in a background check, and you could tell people in a job interview, for example, that you were pardoned.

Was there anything I could clarify about my answer or additional information you needed? If so, please reply without rating and I'll be happy to assist further!

Otherwise, If I've addressed all of your questions regarding this matter, please remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars so I am credited for my time. Experts receive no salary and are otherwise not paid until you rate the answer positively. Thank you!

RobertJDFL, Lawyer