Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Son being investigated for abuse of minor,should he go to…

Customer Question
Son being investigated for...

Son being investigated for sexual abuse of minor,should he go to dhs interview

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Iowa,polk

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

3 and he has no money, all advise he don't go.dhs worker threatened him if he doesn't

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/21/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 1 year ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

He should not go to the interview unless he can find a lawyer who will go with him. If he talks to them, anything he says can be used against him and he does not have to cooperate in giving evidence that can potentially be used against himself.

That said, if DHS wants to talk to him badly enough, they will bring him to court and he must respond to a court order. But there he would also be able to have a lawyer who would protect his rights.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how can u be charged on an accuation if there is no proof

A large portion of complaints to DHS turn out to be unfounded. But they must by law investigate every complaint they get. So that's how they can get involved on a mere accusation.

If you require additional information, please post your follow up here on this question thread, and I’ll be happy to provide it.