Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

California. About my petty theft case I got caught

Customer Question
California Lawyer's Assistant: Has...

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

About my petty theft case

I got caught shoplifting what happen to me next?

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
2/10/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Maverick, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

Here are the possible penalties:

For theft of property valued at less than $50 with no prior related convictions it would be an infraction or a misdemeanor charge at the discretion of the prosecutor with a fine up to $250.

For theft of goods valued at less than $950 then it is a mandatory fine between $50 and$1,000 and/or up to six months of jail time for first time conviction of petty theft of retail merchandise.

Plus the store can sue you in civil court for:

• damages of at least $50 but not more than $500, and
  • the retail value of the merchandise if it is not recovered in sellable condition.

You will have to plead guilt; or not guilty and mount a defense accordingly.

Please Note: (1) The information I provide is general in nature and for educational purposes only. It may help you identify the scope of receiving unbundled legal services from a local lawyer. It should not be construed as “legal advice” or as the rendition of “legal services” on any subject matter. I am not a specialist in any field. This information may not reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction and is not guaranteed to be correct or complete. No attorney-client relationship is established without a signed written agreement. Our communications are not confidential. Please do not act or fail to act based on this information alone. If you need legal advice or services, you should consult in-person with a local lawyer. This disclaimer also applies to any telephone communications we may have.

(2) Most follow-up questions are answered within 24 hours. Please assign a feedback rating when we are done. Thank you.

Maverick
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer