CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

I did a hit and run couple weeks ago. It was a minor hit

Customer Question

i did a hit and run couple weeks ago. It was a minor hit while turning left. Supposedly theres a red light camera and the crash was taped. However police pulled me over in front of my house ( i was looking for parking) Asked for my license which i dont have. They wrote a summon for hit and run and one for driving without a class. What will happen at the court?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: It happened in Yonkers, New York on January 5th, 2017
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I havent
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. Thanks
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 5 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. What do they claim you hit? Another car?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Another car with property damage- VTL 600 1a
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
driving without a class.

Thank you. You need to decide if you want to fight this and go to trial or take a plea and resolve it. I say this because you may have a defense to the hit and run, depending on if there is video of it and the other driver, can place you behind the wheel of the vehicle and as the person who hit them and fled the scene. If they can not and/or fail to appear, that share could be dismissed. The driving without a license charge would be hard to beat, since the officer did have a legal basis to stop you. If you can show up with a valid license, the State may decide to dismiss this. If you wanted to take a plea, you could and likely would be looking at a fine, court costs, restitution and possible probation.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I saw the elderly lady(other driver) driving away and thats when I decided to leave the scene. Thought it wasn't big of a deal. Can I represent myself at the court and just tell them what happened?

Yes, you can, if you want to. If you tell them what happened, it would be an admission of guilt. If she rove away and you waited, it may be a mitigating factor for the prosecution to consider but you would be admitting to this, so simply telling them what happened, before a plea deal is offered, may not be in your best interest