How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26753
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like to get a temporary restraining order dealt with

Customer Question

I would like to get a temporary restraining order dealt with in cook county Illinois and I live down state three hours. Can handle all this through internet or do I have to show up for the court hearing
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Illinois
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No can not afford one. I am in my first 90 days of new job with a no fault absence policy and need to hope to handle online with no missed worl
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is this going to cost me any money?
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 5 months ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK thank you
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 5 months ago.

If the court action is in criminal court and you are the defendant on a Cook County case, your failure to appear in court will result in a warrant for your arrest. You might, however, be able to hire an attorney to make the court date for you and reschedule it for a more convenient day for you. Once you do appear, your attorney might also be able to get you excused from non-essential court appearances.

If the Cook County court action is a civil matter, and this is just a hearing on the protective order, you do not have to appear and no warrant would issue for your arrest. On the other hand, your opponent will win by default. So if you are the defendant and don't show up, the permanent order will be granted in your absence. If you are the plaintiff, the other side will move for dismissal and the judge will likely grant it.

There is, unfortunately, no way to avoid going to court on either type of a case. The best you can do would be to call the court and get a postponement or retain a lawyer and have him do that for you.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 5 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.