Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

For criminal cases, if the civil court agrees to seal the…

For criminal cases, if the...
For criminal cases, if the civil court agrees to seal the lawsuit records, would the court also order the people involved keep everything confidential? Thanks.
1/28/2017
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. It would not. If there was an agreement between the parties, that would bind them to keep this confidential. However, if the civil matter is sealed through the court, it would prevent the general public from seeing it but absent a court order or agreement, would not require the people involved to keep it confidential.

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/courtrules/SCR_RGSRCR.html

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for the very helpful answer and reference. Does that means after the court seals the lawsuit records, any person involved can still post those lawsuit records on the internet (if without court order or agreement forbidding them to do so)?

You are welcome. If they had it, they could and then the other party could always take them back to court and ask the Judge to order that they remove it. I am not sure why someone would do this, since if it is sealed, they would have a chance to object and oppose it. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for the very helpful answer again. Last question: what would be the legal basis that 'the other party could always take them back to court and ask the Judge to order that they remove it'?

The purpose of having it sealed, is to prevent it from being viewed by the general public. If this person would post it on the internet for anyone to see, it would defeat the intended purpose of having it sealed.

CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks!
CrimDefense
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty