How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118115
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm going to type this out really need you advice hope this

Customer Question

I'm going to type this out really need you advice hope this wont be to offenesive to other readers, Ill need a few minutes

Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I was arrested anf below will be all the official details. I am a 39 year old woman going through a very ugly divorce from my husband of 13 years and the circumstances have been devastating to me I was absolutely clueless to the many years of infadelity and my two children ages 9 and 10 and myself have literally been hit by a brick wall with all the changes. I am a full time student about a year out from my BA in Counselling with a specialty in Substance abuse and at the time was a stay home mother and wife, He abandoned us and we moved into my in-;laws home without him and because he has suddenly exposed his violent side the bother put out a restraining Oder against him, Even though he has been ordered by the court to pay child support in 9mo I have seen ZERO from him literally and this called for me to get up get a job even though I can and could have obtained a position that truly could have paid me well timing was just not there to allow me to work the hours that would be expected, go to school full time and fight a ugly divorce on top of maintain my children s mental well-being. With all that being said I took a less demanding job that really didnt pay well at all but it was something to at least do what was needed for my children scholarly essentials.
The company is a small company maybe at the most 15 employees total and I really liked the people so working for such a small wage didnt really bother me because the people I worked with where really great and I enjoyed them. My boss interveiwed me but he didnt have his wife there for whatever reason and he also hired me before getting her approval which set me up for a indifferant aggressive co boss but no biggy I can certainly hold my own so that I figured would in time go away. Well my boss would make many advanced to the point of me literally secluding myself to a different area (the warehouse) which again worked out for me because 95 percent of my job was in there. Now let me be clear I worked my ass off and did the work of four and had these people caught up in about 6 weeks. The warehouse was a f ing disaster from the employees that gad quit before I came on. Either way whatever. I'm a hustler if I can double up I will of course the legal way but hey thats how the world works. I often purchased item from my job at a fraction of the price and made twice of what I put in and from other places to (he never gave us receipts didnt think nothing of it.Well things started coming up missing and he had a few people all freaked out about docked pay and loosing the crappy job and I really didnt care either way so I did say it once well f it blame it on me. His wife was being a royal jealous crazy woman more then normal and she would get pissed off and just go home. O.K. so I am a above average attractive woman so men making sexual unwarranted advances in a work place is nothing new but I did turn him down once when he made a comment about taking me out just to chill, yea right gross. He and his wife were out of town for a couple of days and when they returned I was in the middle of inventory etc. He and she came to me and said they were going to have to let me go and I didn't mind I was pleasant about it all, until she made a comment about knowing my place so when I left in I took a box that had not yet been inventoried so none of knew what was or was not in it but I didn't give a damn and I took right in-front of them and left. ****bad choice bad temper ugg***Either way they filed charges but nothing came of it because they had no proof so I held on to these random things for a little and my mother inlaw is like do something with the box so I began to sell it. Honest talk there was no more then a 1000 dollars retail in that crap and thats being generous. I ended up selling a old over priced camera to an undercover cop and I sold some items on ebay.They arrested me and tossed my in laws house and the list they were reading me was insane some item were quadrupled in quantity some item I never has just damn crazy. The took to be processed and the cops were calling the detective and telling him they found other things not on the list, the detect would call my ex employer and tell him of things and of course he was like yeah the are probably mine as though my father in law in 67 years of his life never owned a watch. O.K whatever so here is my delima I need to get through this without getting a FELONY on my record it will compromise my custody battle with my husband and possibly compromise my education and future practice as well as impact the possibly of moving out and into a safe community for myself and my children. I did it but not like they said I did and I just like huh. I know I need an attorney but I am already making payments to this horrible divorce attorney and do not see how I can possibly even consider a second one. I have no criminal history and need advice, Charges listed below..******
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
is anyone ever going to answer me
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
this sucks
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am sorry for the delay you experienced. I read everything and see that you were arrested and charges are still pending, have you gotten an attorney to defend you against these charges yet? Have you filed your claim regarding sexual harassment with the EEOC yet, you have 180 days for one instance and 300 days for ongoing sexual harassment?
You did take property from the business, from what you said above, so what is your specific question for us?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
my question is how can I get through this without obtaining a criminal record? I know that there are some sort of diversion programs how can I get in on one of those?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for your reply.

Well, if they are repaid, most times your attorney can get a deferred adjudication for you, which is where you make restitution and you would get probation and upon successful completion of your probation they will dismiss the charges against you.

You will need an attorney on these criminal charges, as much as you would like to avoid it, but that will be the best way for you to avoid having a permanent felony record.