How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26803
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son been in jail since Nov.2016. charges from girlfriend

Customer Question

My son been in jail since Nov.2016. charges from girlfriend who knew about his situation , she decided to go a little farther exposing lies on Facebook & now she's writing him in jail & I trying to get him out this mess & clear his name my son never was In any trouble all he did was to work & take care of his kids
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: I just text you
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: Louisiana
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: They change the public offender3 times
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Do you need my number
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 months ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 months ago.

The complainant should not be writing to your son and your son should not be writing her back. If she lied in the first place, she's a loose cannon. If your son writes back and she changes her mind again, she can go back to the DA with proof he's violated a protective order and get him to face some new charges.

What the complainant should do is to talk to the DA, because your son has no power to get the charges against him dropped. She, on the other hand, is the state's star witness in the case, and without her testimony the DA can't win it. That gives her some leverage to tell the DA she doesn't want to proceed.

What your son can do is to send all contact from the complainant directly to his lawyer so that his lawyer can bring that to the attention of the prosecutor and the judge to show just how manipulative and how much of a liar the complainant is. In my experience, when a judge sees that a complainant doesn't deserve the protection of the criminal justice system, he doesn't like wasting much more time on the case and he pushes the DA to come up with a favorable way of resolving the case. So the sooner the right people get notified, the quicker your son can get out of jail.