How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 29803
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My grandson received first offender for 3 misdemeanor

Customer Question

My grandson received first offender for 3 misdemeanor charges he got 1 year probation
I think his 1 year will be up sometimes in march 2017. Where can I go to find out the date his probation will be over and how long does it take to be removed from his record. Will anything show on his record. It happened in Gwennett county Georgiaco
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 6 months ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The clock on a first offender program starts to run on the date the plea is entered, so you can call the clerk of the court and ask when the docket shows a plea change. Once he's finished his probation, the probation officer is required to file a recommendation with the judge asking for an Order of Discharge. Once the Order of Discharge is granted, the case is sealed. State agencies who do a background check will still see the full record. Anyone else who requests a background check will see that the record exists. The case will not show as a conviction. How long it takes to be removed depends on how busy the probation officer and the courts are, but it shouldn't take more than a couple of months - and it will likely be less than that.

This site has more information about First Offender cases that might be helpful:

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 6 months ago.

Do you have any questions about my response?