How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27726
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband has been fighting a aggravated assault charge of

Customer Question

My husband has been fighting a aggravated sexual assault charge of a minor going on for 6 years. The DA has not been able to get ahold of the witnesses and yet they are dragging it out. The trial is set yet again for Monday and yesterday they say they have one witness. I'm in Dallas county, this is bull.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: texas
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: dallas county, yes nobody will touch unless we put 25000 down upfront. We just don't have it. They wouldn't even work payment plan
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We can afford it if we get the trial schedule a year from now and make payment plan. Auto draft whatever
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 9 months ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now.

Are you saying he has been fighting this case for 6 years without representation and when the state does not have witnesses?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No he had a regular lawyer and then the lawyer got busted on drug charges. We couldn't afford another attorney and now we have a court appointed attorney. This sucks. Oh yes we filed a grievance against the first attorney and we also tried to apply to get some of our money back(didn't work). It's just a long drawn out story.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 9 months ago.

Thank you.

You have a state and FEderal rights to a speedy trial. If your husband has counsel, someone should have asserted his speedy trial rights before now. Has anyone addressed this? Six years of the delay because the prosecution does not have its witnesses is incredible.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 9 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.