Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I was being booked into jail for disorderly conduct and they

Customer Question

Hi I was being booked into jail for disorderly conduct and they found 3 Xanax pill on me while I was being processed they charge me with felony drug possession of schedule 4 drugs and disorderly I'm already on probation in two different counties I'm in the state of Georgia I do not have money for an attorney what could I be facing and what should I do please help me I'm on probation for shoplifting and theft by taking in two different counties already I'm so scared but please just tell me the honest truth am I going to be in jail I'm only 19 and trying to finish high school this year what should I do JA: Well, we require $5 . Customer: Please mam I do not have any money JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge? Customer: Ge***** and I was caught in the jail with the Xanax I was being booked for disorderly conduct JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet? Customer: No JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you? Customer: I'm on probation already in two different conuties for theft by taking and shoplifting

Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 9 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 9 months ago.

You're going to be violated on probation in both counties for the new arrest. However, if those cases are both misdemeanors, you may be able to avoid prison.

In my experience the prosecutor will see your theft offenses as drug-related and could potentially offer you an opportunity for treatment court. I have seen it happen where a defendant can avoid doing time on a violation when the court knows that he will be in an intensively supervised, court mandated treatment program. Succeeding at Drug Court would allow you to get your felony case dismissed if you successfully completed the program and stayed out of trouble. The program is typically out-patient.

When you are arraigned, show up with a lawyer. If you cannot afford one, plead not guilty and ask the judge to appoint you a public defender.