How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nisha Jones, Esq. Your Own Question
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 701
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Nisha Jones, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If i made a report against my ex because he slapped me can i

Customer Question

if i made a report against my ex because he slapped me can i drop the charges? I just wanted to get a restraining order against him not press charges JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in? Customer: Ca** JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet? Customer: No JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you? Customer: No
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 7 months ago.

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. I've reviewed your question, please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay thank you.
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 7 months ago.

Thanks for your patience while I typed up my response!

Unfortunately since criminal charges have officially been filed, the decision to dismiss the case/ drop the charges is out of your hands, and is now in the prosecutor's hands.

That being said, what you can do is let the prosecutor know that you are unwilling to testify in the case and that you do in fact want the charges dismissed.

It will then be left to the prosecutor to determine whether they can prove the case without your cooperation, ie. whether they have other evidence like photos, witness statements, etc sufficient to prove the case.

If they do, then they will still continue with the case. However if they do NOT have enough evidence without your cooperation then they will be forced to drop the charges.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to kindly rate me using 3 stars or more, as this is the only way experts are compensated for our time here on 'just answer'. I do not receive a salary here, and am only compensated for my time after you leave me a positive rating. The question won't close after you rate me, so you can still ask any follow-up questions you might have. Thanks so much, I appreciate it!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you so much for your help.
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 7 months ago.

You're welcome, no problem!

Please kindly remember to leave a positive rating before leaving the page, as the site works on a good faith basis - I answer your questions, and in return you leave a positive rating accordingly - as it's the only way I'm compensated for my time. Thanks!

Related Criminal Law Questions