How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 30161
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

On a second degree felony charge of burgarlry of a

Customer Question

on a second degree felony charge of burgarlry of a habitation when it says the case had been closed by conversion what does that mean and how do they come to that JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge? Customer: Texas and i can JA: Has anything been filed or reported? Customer: by filed or reported if you're meaning has the defendant been indicted I'd suppose so they were put on 5 yrs probation but it was defered adjudicated JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you? Customer: I'm just wandering if a case can be closed b by conversion if the defendant has agreed to become a confidential informant of some sort? I've seen allot if case disposals myself but never a closed by con******** just

Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 8 months ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Conversion is not a common criminal case disposition. (It's a civil cause of action, but that doesn't make sense in this context.) Your question actually leaves me wondering if the clerk meant to put "diversion" and made a mistake. You said that the defendant was put on deferred adjudication, so that would make a lot more sense. Or they might mean that the case was converted from a criminal case to a probation case.

It is possible if the accused person was a minor that the case was converted from a juvenile case to adult, or vice versa. If that's not the case, call the clerk of the court to see if they can give you any more information. Court documents are public record, so they should be able to tell you what they see and where the case is. If the accused person had become a criminal information, the case would more likely just show as dismissed. Police don't want people to know who their informants are, so they're not likely to give a case a special disposition when that happens.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Do you have any other questions about this?