How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 2983
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was arrested by police in Chicago in Aug 2014 when lived

Customer Question

I was arrested by police in Chicago in Aug 2014 when lived there, on the next morning I was released with 'no charges' and since the then I have never come back to this issue. In 2015 I have moved to California where I live now. At this moment it had happened that I need an official hard copy of my arrest report form Chicago Police Department for Immigration. How can I get a copy of this report? Can this be done by lawyer on my behalf and then sent to me by mail? How much this kind of service can cost?
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you tonight. Thank you for your question and thank you for using

The Records Customer Service Section will be located at 3510 South Michigan. The hours of operation will be 8:30 AM – 3:30 PM. You can request a copy of the police report there with the correct information (see link below for details).

If you live outside of Chicago and are unable to visit the City of Chicago building in person, you must go to your local police station for fingerprinting. You will then mail in the appropriate documentation.

(1) fingerprints (2) money order (3) copy of identification (4) letter

See link on how to request a police report for Chicago police:

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if you are satisfied. This will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated by the site for my time with you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions if you feel your questions has not been fully answered. See link on how to rate:

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Was that the answer you were looking for? Please give me some feedback if not as I want to satisfy my customers. If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as this is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site. See "rate an answer" on the following link for how to do so:

Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for quick response,
I just did not understand a few points maybe you will be able to clarify them for me:
-At the link that you have provided it said that I need 'letter of clearance' is it also should be obtained at my local police office?
-What is the proper formal name for 'fingerprints' in my type of case? I am not sure if I can be properly understood in local police office by requesting just fingerprints.
-Also at the link that you have provided it said that I must submit "...3) the RD number, (a report number given by the Police at
the time a report is made...." but I don't have any information including this number, only the date of the arrest .
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

You would be getting fingerprints done at the local police station and then sending it to Chicago to get your full "rap sheet". You then mail this along with the other 3 items to the Chicago PD. That link showed the request of an accident related report which I linked just to show the letter of clearance process which I guessed you would be most interested in. Without a lot of the information, your fingerprints might be all you can get. The letter of clearance normally must be requested in person, but you may try to call the police department to see if you can set up a way to take care of that. See link from Chicago pd site:

"Letters of Clearance

  • A.A Letter of Clearance (CPD-31.421 or 31.422 or 31.423) is a letter that certifies whether or not a person has been convicted of a criminal offense (excluding traffic or minor regulatory ordinances). This letter is issued for passport, immigration, or adoption purposes only and cannot provide a character reference or identification.

  • B.Members of the general public requesting a Letter of Clearance must request such letters in person at the Records Inquiry and Customer Service Section, Records Services Division. Requesters can obtain these letters only for themselves, not for any other person, and will be required to present proper photo identification at the time of processing. A fee will be charged at the time of processing.

  • C.Department members receiving requests for a Letter of Clearance will direct such inquiring persons to the Records Inquiry and Customer Service Section, Records Services Division."

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don not need a Letter of Clearance at all.
I need a copy of my actual arrest report that was filed when I was arrested.
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

The original process I laid out should get you that. Also from that second link it provides: "Public Access to Reports

A.Members of the general public may obtain a copy of a case report or other document containing information to substantiate a personal injury or a loss or damage to property. Such reports, except for Traffic Crash Reports, will be reviewed by Department personnel prior to their release in order to remove the investigative and statement portions as well as other such sensitive information. Members of the general public may initiate this process:

  • person, at Central Police Headquarters with the payment of the applicable fee as designated in Item IV-B.

  • mail:

    • a.addressed to Chicago Police Department, Records Inquiry and Customer Service Section, Unit 163

    • b.including the following information:

      • (1)the victim’s or reporting person’s name and address,

      • (2)the type and location of incident,

      • (3)the RD number,

    • c.accompanied by a:

      • (1)self-addressed stamped envelope;

  • (2)check or money order payable to the "Department of Revenue, City of Chicago" in the amount of the payment of the applicable fee as designated in Item IV-B."

You simply need to get more details for the request and you might simply call or search for your arrest online to try and get more information.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?