How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27615
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 21 year old son was arrested for attempted unlawful

Customer Question

My 21 year old son was arrested for attempted unlawful entry. He was intoxicated and trying to get his girlfriend to let him in. He was charged with PI also. Is that considered a felony?
JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?
Customer: Louisiana.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet. It just happened this weekend
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I can't think of anything. He has never been in trouble before.
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 7 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Expert:  CrimDefense replied 7 months ago.

Good evening. Pi as in public intoxication? You just want to know if that is a felony?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The attempted unlawful entry charge is what we are concerned about. He was at his girlfriend's parents house trying to get her to let him in. They called the cops and that is what he is charged with. The judge that set his bond actually called him in Jail and told him the condition of him lowering his bond was no drinking, stay away from the girl, and take his meds. (He is bipolar). He is just really concerned because he works construction and has a TWIC card which can be revoked with a felony.
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for the reply. Please allow me a moment.

Expert:  CrimDefense replied 7 months ago.

Do you know the code he is charged under specifically?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No I sure dont.
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 7 months ago.

It is alright. If the attempted unlawful entry charge was related to a potential burglary, they can file it as a felony. A lot is going to depend on his girlfriend and her cooperation with the prosecution and what/was the issue was, which prompted this. If he did not live there and she did not want to let him in, he should have not tried to enter, since he did not have permission. I understand he was intoxicated BUT that is NOT a legal defense, to his attempt/actions, so it could be problematic. However, if she does not want to see him prosecuted, she can advise the State of the same and see if maybe they would amend this to a misdemeanor, likely disorderly conduct and not charge with a felony, since it could effect his livelihood.

Expert:  CrimDefense replied 7 months ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Related Criminal Law Questions