How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27705
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been falsely accused of a crime in the UAE (obscene

Customer Question

I have been falsely accused of a crime in the UAE (obscene hand gesture when driving) by a local man who was driving very dangerously. It seems he has raised a case against me before I could against him. I now have no passport and await court and I fear this is my life in the UAE finished for something I am completely innocent for. I have no idea what to do...!
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: The state was Abu Dhabi, and I live in Dubai
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I had a witness in the car
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 9 months ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 9 months ago.

If you have been falsely charged with a criminal offense, you have to get yourself a criminal lawyer to protect your rights and to challenge the evidence against you. There's no magic way to make this go away, but if you have a witness in your car, that's helpful to your case.

Once you are cleared of this crime you can then talk to a civil litigator and find out if you have any recourse against the other driver for pressing false allegations. But they are not false until you win your case, because by definition a conviction would turn a false charge into a true one.

If you are not sure where to find a good criminal defense lawyer in Abu Dhabi and you are not a citizen of the UAE, you can contact your embassy. They would have a list of lawyer that they have vetted so that you wouldn't have to worry about the legitimacy of the lawyer. Alternatively, you can use an international legal referral service, such as this one.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 9 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.