How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 41038
Experience:  licensed attorney in criminjal law for 30 years
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My girlfriend’s son was driving a car registered in her name

Customer Question

My girlfriend’s son was driving a car registered in her name when he hit a street sign and left the scene. He came back the next morning and the car is gone. We started calling tow companies but have not found the car. What should we do next?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location. Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: ohio
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 6 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 6 months ago.

Girlfriend here can call the police and report the car missing.They likely have the vehicle at police impound.They will locate the car and give you recovery information.They likely want to know who was driving and you will have to tell them as well.But this is all you can do to get your car back hopefully.I think this is your next step in this case.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 6 months ago.

Ohio Failure To Stop – Laws & Penalties

In most circumstances, failure to stop is a 1st Degree Misdemeanor punishable by up to 6 months in jail and fines up to $500. However, if the accident resulted in serious injury of the other person, the charge is elevated to a 5th Degree Felony and is punishable by 6-12 months in prison and up to $2,500 in fines.

In addition to jail time and fines you will face a suspension of your driver’s license for a period no less than 6 months.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 6 months ago.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do we report the car missing in the city where it happened? We live a different city
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The main concern is not the car. We don’t want my girlfriend to be reasonable for any penalties. She had nothing to do with the crash.
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 6 months ago.

You would report it where it was last seen and there was the accident.They can locate the car for you.You can tell then the truth that the boyfriend hit the sign and left the car.They will locate it and you likely have to pay some storage and towing here.

Thanks again.

Related Criminal Law Questions