How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27713
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had my new jersey license suspened a couple if years ago.

Customer Question

i had my new jersey license suspened a couple if years ago. I went to court and payed all of my court fines. I was ordered to attend IDRC, in which i completed by was evaulated and told to follow up woth my local idrc organization. I moved to Pennsylvania and didnt follow up. I received a letter months ago stating i have to serve jail time for avoiding the court order. Bc of my current work situation im afraid to go to court and be sentenced to jail and miss work. My work would most likely terminate me if i was goung to jail.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 9 months ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 9 months ago.

This is the sort of situation that won't get better the more time that passes. The only way to get rid of a warrant is to come back to court and face the music. Otherwise, it will not expire. It can last as long as you do, and you will always be risking going to jail and losing your job.

Get yourself a lawyer in New Jersey and see if he can get you out of doing time or, if that's no longer possible, if he can get you weekend incarceration so it won't interfere with your job. Then you'll be prepared for exactly what will happen to you as he will have paved the way for your safest possible return and gotten an acceptable resolution to your matter before you come back to New Jersey.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can i call the court house to schedule a court date?
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 9 months ago.

You can try. Since you've been AWOL for some time, however, they may just want to wait until you're physically present in the court before they put you on the court calendar.

It's best to go in with a lawyer, so you'd want to have a date that's convenient for your attorney.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Do i need to do the weekend in jail 2 hours away in nj or will they let me do it in pa where i live
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 9 months ago.

You'd be expected to do the time in NJ, since that's where you committed the crime.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 9 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.