Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

My kids dad was arrested a week ago my mom went to look up

Customer Question

My kids dad was arrested a week ago my mom went to look up his case and its not there
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: New York he was arrested December 22
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: He has a public defender and just today I can't find his case before this I was able to see everything
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: On his booking sheet I guess it says indictment #0000000
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 9 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 9 months ago.

You can call the clerk of the court when it reopens after the holiday, and they will tell you what happened to his case. It may simply be that they have not yet updated the computer. Indictment #0000000 is not a valid case code. It's just a place holder for when the indictment actually comes through. It may also mean that the case has been moved from criminal court to state Supreme Court, so the site you're looking at would have no further records.

If he was arrested on the 22nd, he'd have been arraigned on the 23, and if he was in jail he'd have to be seen again for the 180.80 day, which would have been 144 hours from his arrest when a weekend or holiday intervenes.

Then, if the state was not ready to vote an indictment he'd have to be released. But more commonly, he would be given another date in state supreme court for about three weeks later to be arraigned on the indictment.

In any case, calling the court clerk when it reopens will get you his next court date and bail status.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 9 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.