Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

How to get my probation fees waived if im on ss/ssi im not

Customer Question

How to get my probation fees waived if im on ss/ssi im not suppose to havent to pay them
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: My husband in prison owes 600.00 he cant get anything on commisonary because he owes it i dont have the money to pay it
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Missouri
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No his probation officer could but want
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just need to know if i could call jefferson city prob and parole
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You have to file a motion for waiver of fees based on proof that you are indigent and cannot pay. If you used a public defender for him, then you need to get the PD to file the motion with an affidavit of indigence and get the court to issue an order waiving the fees. Only the court that sentenced him though can waive the fees, not the probation and parole office and you need an attorney to represent him to file or he will need to file himself from prison.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.