RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

My son's best friend lives with us, he had 2 dui's at the

Customer Question

My son's best friend lives with us, he had 2 dui's at the beginning of this years and is currently on probation. I was told if he's drinking and someone calls the police he can be arrested. Is that true?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: Washinton state and 1st one was January, 2nd one was March and he spent 42 days in jail the 2nd time
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No. I don't have money. My concern here is that I just found out he has continued to drink and drive. A few weeks ago he talked my son into letting him use my car and was very drunk when he drove it. He's been going to the bars often and I'm afraid he's going to kill himself and or someone else
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: What happens if I call this in?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good afternoon,

A typical condition of DUI probation is that a person abstain from drinking (even in their own home). Such a person would also be subject to random drug tests and visits by their probation officer or someone in probation. Someone calling the police to report him drinking most likely wouldn't do anything (they may tell the person to report it to the probation department) and that of course can get him in trouble with his probation officer and result in a violation.

The bigger risk is that he's going drinking in bars and it's no secret that police will hang out outside these establishments and wait for people to leave and then see if they can pull people over for weaving, driving without their headlights on, etc. If they catch him drunk again, he's looking at a potential third DUI and a violation of probation.

I would not under any circumstances allow him to drive your vehicle, especially since you are absolutely right, he is putting himself, and others, at great risk.

Was there anything I could clarify about my answer or did you need more information? If so, please reply without rating and I'll be happy to assist further however I can!

If I have fully answered your question, kindly remember to leave a positive rating by clicking the stars at the top of the page. Doing so costs you nothing extra, but it is important for experts so that we are compensated for our time. Thank you, ***** ***** a Happy New Year!