Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

If a person is charged with a serious misdemeanor and the

county attorney attaches a simple...
If a person is charged with a serious misdemeanor and the county attorney attaches a simple misdemeanor to the serious misdemeanor as a companion charge and you file a motion to dismiss due to you were arrested for these charges and trial info was not filed within the 45 days as stated in Iowa rule 2.33. So the Court grants the motion to dismiss, does that mean both charges are dismissed or just the serious misdemeanor and the companion simple misdemeanor just falls off as a companion to the serious and the state can continue with the simple misdemeanor charge?
12/26/2016
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
It just means the new charge is dismissed. Of course, the state can again reinstate the dismissed charge as long as they do so within the statute of limitations. The simple misdemeanor would remain.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer