Criminal Law

What is the difference between the simple battery 16-5-23…

what is the difference between...
what is the difference between the simple battery 16-5-23 charge and domestic violence simple battery in Georgia ?... Read full answer
what is the difference between the simple battery 16-5-23 charge and domestic violence simple battery in Georgia ?
12/7/2016
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

Thank you for opening a new question.

Domestic violence simple battery is the act of causing physical or bodily harm to "between past or present spouses, persons who are parents of the same child, parents and children, stepparents and stepchildren, foster parents and foster children, or other persons living or formerly living in the same household". Code of Georgia, Section 16-5-23.1(f).

Simple battery is a misdemeanor. A first conviction of domestic violence battery is also a misdemeanor, but the consequences get harsher for subsequent convictions. A second conviction is a felony. Also, a person who has been convicted of a crime of domestic violence will lose their ability to carry a firearm. Either charge could make it more difficult to get a visa or greencard, although it's possible to seek an exception if you only have one charge.

Please rate my answer positively to ensure I get credit for the time I spend helping. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.

If the husband gets charged with a simple battery for a small incident at home, after getting bail can he stay in the same house with wife ?

Usually not.

The wife can get a restraining order when the charges are filed. The judge can also order the accused person not to go home.

Do you have any other questions about this?

NoThanks for your help

You're welcome.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I had a question about IL FOID card laws. I plead guilty to
i plead guilty to misdemeanor domestic battery in order to get 26 weeks of anger management and 1 year of supoervision. I completed that in March of 2019 … read more
James Daloisio
James Daloisio
Attorney,
I was convicted of 4 misdemeanor charges when I was 22. I'm
I was convicted of 4 misdemeanor charges when I was 22. I'm now 39. Family violence, simple battery. Hindering a 911 call. Criminal trespass and cruelty to children. All these charges don't tell who I… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
My daughters bf was arrested for simple battery fva
My daughters bf was arrested for simple battery fva (misdemeanor) & false imprisonment (felony). Then, 3 weeks later he was arrested for Battery FVA (m), reckless conduct (m), PPMDS marijuana (f), pos… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
Stop searching for answers—
What is the statute of limitations fit Simple Battery in the
What is the statute of limitations fit Simple Battery in the State of Georgia? … read more
Criminal Defense Law,
A friend of mine was arrested for domestic violence what
a friend of mine was arrested for domestic violence what punishment is exspected? … read more
Lawyer,
Help! I was on vacation in Florida and had a fight w my
Help! I was on vacation in Florida and had a fight w my husband. I called 911 and I was yelling at my husband when the cops came and they arrested me. I had marijuana in my system. What's going to hap… read more
Litigation Attorney,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
If we opt for record restriction after the case is
If we opt for record restriction after the case is dismissed, will it be restricted automatically after the case is dismissed ? If the record is restricted, will it still impact while applying for new… read more
Lawyer,
I WAS ARRESTED IN 202 BATTERY FVA. DURING THE TRIAL THE
I WAS ARRESTED IN 202 FOR SIMPLE BATTERY FVA. DURING THE TRIAL THE FAMILY VIOLENCE ACT PORTION WAS DISMISSED FOR LACK OF EVIDENCE AND I WAS UTIMATELY CONVICTED OF SIMPLE BATTERY. I HAVE FOUND OUT THAT… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
Is it Assault or Battery in GA when a parent of a 17 year
Is it Assault or Battery in GA when a parent of a 17 year old engaged in a fight grabs the other 17 year old by the waist and pulls them?… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
In 1995 I plead guilty to a (Simple Assault in Atlanta Ga),
In 1995 I plead guilty to a (Simple Assault in Atlanta Ga), Dropped from Domestic battery. I served no time and was allowed to serve probation out of Georgia in my then home state of Indiana. I have n… read more
in the state of GA. how does sim ple battery work. Well the
in the state of GA. how does sim ple battery work. Well the question is my husband and i had an altercation i called the police they came and got my side of the story and tried to call him to get his … read more
Criminal Defense Law,
what is the difference between simple battery and battery?and
what is the difference between simple battery and battery?and what are the different charges ,or sentence one can get in the state of georgia.and, can one still have a hand gun to protect your home in… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
Stop searching for answers—
Does a person convicted of Battery Third Degree in the State
Does a person convicted of Battery Third Degree in the State of Arkansas lose his second ammedment right? If so, what Arkansas code or law covers this. And, does a conviction on a court docket require… read more
Lawyer,
i was arrested in dekalb co. georgia and was originally charged
i was arrested in dekalb co. georgia and was originally charged w/ simple battery was arrested and followng day charge was changed to simple assault then after22 more days in jail i had another hearin… read more
Joseph
Joseph
Attorney,
My son at age 17, he is now 20 was charged w/simple battery-Domestic
My son at age 17, he is now 20 was charged w/simple battery-Domestic Violence by me. How do we get this erroneous charge removed from his record? Augusta, Ga… read more
Lawyer,
In Georgia looking at a particular case the court records read
In Georgia looking at a particular case the court records read 'convicted simple battery'. If this was a case of domestic violence would the records show this or just simple battery?… read more
Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz
Attorney,
what do you think will happen to him if in 2002 he had a simple
what do you think will happen to him if in 2002 he had a simple battery. then in 2008 on thursday he was charged with battery (fva) crutely to childern to the 3rd degree and i go tomorrow to drop the … read more
Jim Reilly
Jim Reilly
Private Practice Attorney,
I was charged with simple battery in October for slapping my
I was charged with simple battery in October for slapping my husband in the presence of a police officer. My husband did not want to press charges against me (I was intoxicated at the time). I hired a… read more
Lawboop
Lawboop
Principal Member,