How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 37852
Experience:  30 years legal experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Would an indecent exposure charge prevent or limit the

Customer Question

would an indecent exposure charge prevent or limit the ability to gain custody or visitation? The child currently resides in SC with her mother and I live in the midwest. I did some checking and there isn't any explicit rule, law, or petition (if you will) that prohibits a registered low risk s.o. from having custody or visitation.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: ND
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: My ex wife has filed in the state of SC for a hearing in family court. We were married and divorced in Japan (shes a native of that country and I'm a US citizen) We've been divorced for 3 years but never addressed our separation/divorce in front of a judge. I have not talked to a lawyer as I am still searching for one in SC.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: During the marriage and my offense I was in the air force and was convicted under the UCMJ. My charges do not translate, as far as I know, as a recognizable felony or misdemeanor under ND. My only requirement was that I register as an offender for a period of 15 years. I live with my fiance and her son, and a child we have together. I have been given permission under my release to have contact with her children and to have contact with my daughter, the child I have with my ex wife.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

No, under SC family law, a conviction for indecent exposure will not prevent a parent from being granted visitation with their own child, nor with a request for primary custody of their child.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please know that I answer your questions in good faith, providing you with the information that you ask for, and I do that with the expectation that you would act likewise, and rate my service to you. Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help, or you are a subscription customer already. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you. So, please do be sure to rate my service to you. Rating is accomplished by clicking on the rating-stars on your page. Thank you in advance for your positive rating.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Doug,Thank you for the response. As our divorce was never put in front of a judge that would mean that I currently have shared full custody with my ex-wife correct? Even though she resides with her mother?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I only ask because she took my daughter back to Japan, where her parents live. She has prevented me from contacting her, speaking with my daughter, she blocked me from all media devices for months on end, and refused to provide any contact information so I could send items to my daughter. For a little over a year she convinced our daughter that I wasn't her Dad, but instead that I was the family dogs dad. On top of that, she moved back to the US in August 2015 and left our daughter in Japan for a year with her parents. During which time I was unable to talk to my child, period. I left multiple messages with her parents and all were ignored. All attempts to resolve this with her have been one sided, hers. Now, she says I can't talk to her unless I send her $150.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your new questions and serious multiple legal issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge of just $19 more I can offer you a personal phone conference during which there is no limitation on the number of questions you can ask of me, as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Would you like me to call you?


Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No thank you. I will continue my lawyer search. I have enough info to start.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.

Good afternoon,

You will need to petition the court of the last place in the US that your daughter lived and seek an order granting you custody or visitation, as well as an order granting you the right to communicate with your child by phone, skype or other electronic manner during periods of time that you are not with her. The court will not require that you pay the month for this right.

Thank you for your kind words. They are very much appreciated. Unfortunately, your gratitude alone is not sufficient for me to be compensated for my having assisted you.

Please understand that in order for me to be credited, and paid, for having helped you, I need for you to positively rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars located on your answer page---preferably 5-stars. It is that easy.

Thanks in advance.

I wish you the best,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.


Is there anything else I can assist you with today?