How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118689
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Under what I believe was state law in WA, I was "committed"

Customer Question

Under what I believe was state law in WA, I was "committed" unvoluntarily to a 48 or 72 hour monitoring period st a state mental institution after overdosing on pills at 18 years old (in 2003). I'm not far removed from the troubled teenager that I was and am trying to clear this mark on my record, both for personal reasons as well as the hope to own a firearm. I currently reside in Louisiana. Is expungement or something similar to clear it a possibility?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am afraid that "expungement" of this type of thing is not provided for in the law. In order to be able to obtain a firearm, it would take a doctor in WA where this commitment took place and an attorney there and the doctor has to testify that you are mentally sound and the attorney needs to file in court for a certificate of rehabilitation, whereby the doctor testifies in court and the judge has to find that you no longer suffer from any of the mental health issues that led to the commitment. Then once the judge issues the certificate of rehabilitation, that must be provided to the FBI Firearms Approval Unit and then it is up to them as to whether or not they will accept the court order (They typically will do so).
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.