How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 16720
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Alex I asked if I need to file for an extension or

Customer Question

Hello Alex I asked if I need to file for an extension or continuance or can I ask for that at my court date? And also do I have a right to see all of the facts of my case? And how would I go about obtaining those? Thank you so much.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for your follow up.

2 weeks is more than enough time to find a lawyer, so it is important to contact and retain a local attorney before the court date, as the court is not obligated to grant continuance.

Also, it is never a good idea to try to represent yourself in a criminal case, even if the person is a licensed lawyer and not someone who has no law degree, not a licensed attorney and doesn't have the legal knowledge and experience that is required in order to effectively handle criminal case.

There would be no way to learn about criminal law and criminal procedure in a short time, as it takes lawyers 3 years of law school and many years of practice to learn the law and criminal procedure.

I wish you the best of luck!

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 9 months ago.