Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

How much time for absconding out of utah, no my boyfriend

Customer Question

how much time for absconding out of utah
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no my boyfriend hasn't even seen a judge yet and he has been in jail almost three weeks
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: uta
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I meant Utah he was arrested in nv
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 9 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 9 months ago.

But first, please tell me whether he was on probation or parole in Utah when he left the state.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 9 months ago.

Basically, if the defendant absconded from Utah while on parole or probation, if he is brought back involuntarily, he faces incarceration for the remainder of his sentence on parole, or the full prison alternative on probation.

That's the worst case scenario, of course. The parolee or probationer would be afforded a hearing with a lawyer, and depending upon all of the facts and circumstances, he might be able to do less time.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 8 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.