RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  licensed attorney in criminjal law for 30 years
8534270

I live in Texas, I am an educator, and in a Master's of

Customer Question

I live in Texas, I am an educator, and in a Master's of School Counseling program.In early September, a guy I dated for a short time sent me a text message stating he needed someone to talk to because he was fearful his brother was trying to kill himself. When I showed up at his residence his mom was present and both of them were crying stating his brother was sending an ex-girlfriend pictures of himself in a hotel room with a syringe in his arm to drain his blood out. They explained his brother is a CRNA and knows how to kill himself. They also stated he recently got into legal trouble. I of course advised to call the police immediately, but they were hesitant. The guy I dated expressed several times he was worried about his brothers mental state. I finally convinced them to call the police. His mother left and went home. He asked me to drive him to the hotel to meet the police because he was too drunk to drive. When we arrived at the hotel medics rolled him out on a stretcher barely alive. His mom meet us at the hotel and I was asked to help get the dogs and clean up. The hotel room looked like a murder scene. I drove him to his mothers condo to drop off the dogs and other items. I then went with both of them to the hospital where the brother was acting with bizarre behaviors. That was the one and only time I met him. I advised the guy I dated to convince the brother to stay in an inpatient program for a long as possible. I barely knew these people and in the back of my mind wondered if they contacted me just because I am practicing to be a counselor. I no longer speak to the guy I dated, but out of curiousity looked up the case on Harris County Public Records.
The public records stated he was charged with assault to a family member and unlawful carry. The girlfriend he abused and pulled a gun on ordered a protective order. A few days after getting out of the inpatient facility he was charged for breaking the protective order and it stated he cut the girlfriend several times with a knife.9/22/16 There is a trial discovery with a mental health section and on 12/1 there is a non-trial setting. What are the odds I would be called as witness to mental health claims? I do not want to be in a subpoena situation. Also, how would I be contacted? Would I have to attended?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 11 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

I don't think the chances are high.The charges for the most part happened without you around here, I am not sure your limited involvement would be needed to prove up the crimes that are involved.It sounds like there were other family members that saw the situation and may have had way more time with him.I would just say it is highly unlikely.If you have not bee contacted by the prosecutor then they likely don't need you here.The best I can tell you is it is truly unlikely you are going to be called.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated/.