Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm
93473422

I just got fired. I had legal trouble while working. My boss

Customer Question

I just got fired. I had legal trouble while working. My boss had an hr meeting and said they talked to the police department. Said I got myself in a pickle. How much info or evidence can they give my employer. I still haven't been charged yet.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I need a little more specific context to answer your question.

If you're wondering what's the scope of what police could tell your employer, it's pretty wide-- they could have told your employer what you're being investigated for, and they could have mentioned any other statements they have from witnesses, or other evidence they've gathered.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more. It doesn't cost you anything to rate me, and we can continue our conversation for free after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How detailed on the evidence? Can they show them it. I'm wondering because it's been a month and a week and they haven't charged yet.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Hi Mike, my apologies for the delay I was away, please allow me just a few minutes as I'm typing my response to your last message. Thanks!

Without knowing what the specific items of evidence in question are, I can let you know this:

If it's not protected information, ie. protected by privacy laws, then it's quite possible they may have showed it to your boss.

Another thing to take into consideration is relevance: is the alleged crime linked to your job in any way? You have to consider what would be the officers' motivation in showing detailed evidence to your boss. They're not going to do that unless it's directly related, or unless it's going to benefit their investigation in some way.

Again, I'm not sure what the alleged crime is, but if it's been a month and half and you have not been charged, then perhaps they don't have enough evidence to formally charge you, OR (and hopefully it's not this option) they could be gathering evidence in order to bring a grand jury together and attempt to have you indicted.

I hope that helps. A gentle reminder: please take a moment to rate me using 3 stars or more at this time, I don't receive a salary here, and even though I've answered your questions and concerns, I won't be compensated for my time unless you leave a positive rating. It's free of charge to rate me, and I'll answer any relevant follow up questions after you've left a positive rating. Thanks!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!