Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

My son's girlfriend his license which he was using as

Customer Question
my son's girlfriend burnt his...
my son's girlfriend burnt his license which he was using as identification. His license is suspended because of tickets. He has an 800.00 dollar warrent.
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?
Customer: HE currently needs id to get a job, but he is afraid he is going to get locked up. My question is will he get locked up if he applies for a identification at motor vehicles in paterson, nj ?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: what do you mean filed or reported?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: that is it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Currently he is residing in paterson, new jersey
11/15/2016
Criminal Lawyer: LawyerDavid, Attorney replied 1 year ago
LawyerDavid
LawyerDavid, Attorney

I believe NJ is likely to check for warrants when someone goes in to get a new ID. This practice may vary by location, but I also believe most locations may post an officer during business hours. I would expect him to be at risk of being arrested. In addition, they will certainly see the license is suspended so the issue will be an ID only. I would suggest taking care of the warrant before going in to get the new ID, because if he is arrested there will be more cost associated with that arrest. Also, most employers do simple background checks on new hires so the warrant is going to show up there and cause him to miss out on opportunities for a new job anyway. You could call ahead and ask if they check warrants and not identify yourself and find out ,but he really is going to be held up going forward in life if he won't just take care of the warrant. So I suggest making him take care of the problem he caused and definitely get a new girlfriend. I hope this helps! All the best, David

LawyerDavid
LawyerDavid
LawyerDavid, Attorney